Believe it or not, I’ve never played Half Life before. So I’m starting a blind Let’s Play series! I’m obviously new at this game, so I’ll happily take any tips/tricks you might have. Below is the link to the VR mod I’m using, and the Steam page where I bought the game.
I’ve recently been contacted by the original author of the VR mod. Some notes from them are below.
The VR Mod → https://github.com/rorincloud/Half-Life-VR/releases
Half Life on Steam → https://store.steampowered.com/app/70/HalfLife/
(You’ll need to disable “Use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active” in the Half-Life Properties in Steam)
● Chat about VR on my Discord → https://discord.gg/MAJDjEY
● Twitter → http://twitter.com/BenPlaysVR
Notes from the Mod author:
1. The mod you are playing is a custom build by some developers who found super early source code on my github page. They made a build for testing purposes, which then got spread by curious people. It was never intended in any way as a public release to be played by average users, but now after almost 2 years it seems that people think this was an actual mod release. It was not. The version you are playing was literally one, maybe two weekends of work + weapon models that were done by different people, not me. It was the earliest “proof of concept” for VR with the GoldSrc engine and I released the code (and a short Youtube video) as a technical demonstration.
2. Due to the aftermath of the aforementioned point (which we can now also see in some of those unfortunate comments under your videos), in December 2017 I moved the code and any further development of the mod into a private repo on github, disclosed from the public. I will release the mod, including its source code, when it is stable and playable, not before. (And no, I cannot and will not give a release estimate.)
3. The mod is still in active development. It was never abandoned, and while progress is slow due to life and other obligations (after all this is just an unpaid hobby project), progress is happening.
4. The version you are playing is open source and the license allows anyone to make a build (like the one you are playing). Even if I did abandon the mod (which I have absolutely no plans of doing), I would make the current private version publicly available.
5. There is a reddit post with some progress update and requests for feedback I posted in November 2018: https://reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/9ykj9q/halflife_goldsrc_vr_mod_progress_and_discussion/
6. My github with the mod’s source code is here: https://github.com/maxvollmer
7. My patreon for those who wish to support me is here: https://www.patreon.com/maxvollmer